Friday, June 17, 2011

SABRINA: Poles

Buchenwald was definitely an amazing experience. I have always had an interest in the history of WWII but, obviously, have never had an opportunity to experience the history like this trip allowed me to do. Most of the barracks were torn down but the outlines and foundations were left. It was very sobering to walk on the concentration camp's grounds. I just had this sadness come over me and kept thinking  "I'm walking where so many people were tortured and murdered". I could only wonder how we as human beings could do something so horrible to other humans, despite any differences we may have! In the woods there were poles set up in remembrance of those who were killed and there were just so many poles...it was so horrific!

poles

The crematory was still standing and we got to go in and see it. That was a frightening experience to see where bodies were thrown into the cellar down a chute and to see where so many people were strangled in the cellar. The crematory still smelled like the ashes. It was just horrible. I'm so glad I was able to witness this piece of history but being there just put a dark cloud over my spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment