Tuesday, June 21, 2011

CHRIS: Meissen and the over-inflated cracker

Meissen was picturesque...

Magdeburg 2011 005

On Friday we got on a train early in the morning and headed for our first stop Meissen. We rode on the train for what seemed like forever through the German countryside. When we finally arrived in Meissen it was beautiful. Standing atop the bridge I saw a charming city surrounded by terraced vineyards and German countryside. All the roofs are painted red and the city is surrounded by the Elbe. On top of a hill sits a giant white castle keeping watch over the city and the important Elbe shipping artery.

Magdeburg 2011 001

When we crossed the bridge we wandered around for a while then we ate in the historic town square. There was a street vendor selling bratwurst there for 2 euros. It was one of the best bratwurst I’ve ever had. For desert I got a poppy seed cupcake with white chocolate icing from the Meissen rotary club that was fantastic (and cheap).

After we wandered around for a while we started climbing towards the castle. On the way we stopped at a bakery. The bread in the window looked amazing and Hendrich bought some for us to try. I got to try it first so I took a huge bite. Crumbs fell everywhere and I soon realized that I had just taken a huge bite of mostly air. The bread was called fummel. Well it really wasn’t bread more like an over inflated cracker. It was good just not what I had expected.

Magdeburg 2011 002

Then after much climbing we finally reached the top of the hill and the castle. It was incredible.

Magdeburg 2011 003

The interior of the castle was fabulous and blew my mind. I don’t think we where supposed to take pictures but I did anyways. This is one of my favorite all time pictures. It’s of the winding stairwell.

Magdeburg 2011 004

Meissen is one of my favorite cities. It is such a traditional little city. When I think of a German town, Meissen is what I think of. Someday I’d like to think that I’ll get to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment