Wednesday, June 22, 2011

DUSTIN: Slippers

image

This past weekend was spent in Dresden. Dresden has been the most beautiful city that I have been to so far. It’s hard to believe that during the Second World War it was completely destroyed by an Ally fire bomb strike. From looking at pictures of the aftermath of the bombing raid and looking at it now the city is completely different, it like nothing ever happened. Once again while on an excursion we fell victim to Germany’s unpredictable weather. It looked like it was going to rain and then it would clear up for a little bit, and then cloud right back up. Eventually the sky opened and stopped a couple times. I did get caught in it once on the way back to the hostel. Dark clouds rolled in and the wind got stronger and then the rain began, but it only lasted for 5 minutes at most.

It felt like the train ride to Dresden was never going to end. It took about 4 hours to get to Dresden, but we did stop in the city Meissen. Meissen was a cool city it was really old and we got to go into one of the Palaces.

image

The palace very interesting it had this room where if you wanted to go in you had to put on these giant slippers. The floor had so much gloss on them that it was hard walk because you would side every time you took a step.

image

When we got into Dresden the first thing we did was check into our hostel and get settled in. After about an hour we took a walk around the city, I think that it looks better at night because of the lighting of the city. When we got the Frauenkirche we went to find something to eat. After roaming the streets for about thirty minutes we ended up at the Hilton Bistro, which was overpriced and not that good. I paid about fifteen Euros for a chicken sandwich and some fries.

The next day we walked around the city, we went to the treasury of the old royal family. I wish I could have taken a piece home with me so I would never have to work again. After that we went to an old catholic church.

image

The church was neat. It was filled with old art and statues. At the end of our tour we got some time to explore the city. I went to a few tourist shops. At one of them there was a stair case that leads to a wine shop. As soon as we got in there the person working started pouring us samples of his wine, the best was the Eis Wein. He also let us taste some wine jelly, it was so good, I bought two.

Magdeburg is starting to feel like home every time I go away I want to go back and when I’m here I don’t want to leave. I’m glad I got to go to Dresden because I like to go to all the old cities, especially ones with so much history.

No comments:

Post a Comment