Thursday, June 23, 2011

KIRSTEN: The Hostel (not hostile)

Hostel

The youth hostel. At first when I told people where I would be staying while I was here, they were a bit concerned and gave me many tips as to how to stay out of trouble and danger. On this trip we’ve stayed in three different hostels, one in Berlin, here in Magdeburg and once in Dresden. The hostel in Magdeburg feels the homiest, seeing as we have stayed in it for almost three weeks now. Surprisingly I’ve enjoyed staying here, the beds aren’t too comfortable when you think about it, but when you go as long as we do in a day, they are the most comfortable beds at the end of the day when we all crash.

Although sometimes I wish that we were able to connect to the internet from our rooms, I’m glad that we have to go downstairs into the lobby to connect. This has made us spend most of the time that we have in the hostel downstairs around everyone else instead of sitting in the rooms not talking to other people. Our summer program is a mix of Jordanians (who are awesome), our group from Upstate, and two students from Minnesota. Throughout the past weeks we have spent a lot of time getting to know each other because we’re all in the same hostel together.

For the most part the hostel has been a great place to stay (except for the fifty million kids running around) and I’m a bit sad that in a couple of days I will be leaving my “home”.

No comments:

Post a Comment