Wednesday, June 22, 2011

REGINA: In the classroom

Regina

Overall, I've enjoyed being in class here (well, aside from the long hours that we're required to be in class; five to six hours is a long time to be anywhere, especially if that somewhere is in a classroom). I feel as though being in the class has improved my vocabulary significantly, and that I've learned a lot about Germany in the process of improving my knowledge of the German language. While the class has been challenging in some aspects (there is a lot to learn in only a short amount of time, not to mention that we're constantly kept busy going places and seeing sights), I feel that it has been very informative and valuable to have, and has made studying abroad a more enriching experience for me and for the others on this trip.

It's been interesting looking around Magdeburg and applying what I've learned in class in the real world. For example, I've been able to interpret many of the ads for housing seen around campus because of our lessons on interpreting housing ads. I've also been able to apply the lesson we had on ordering tickets when we went to the movies the other night. When we had German in the states, we learned a lot about the country and everything, but a lot of things are much more relevant and useful when you are actually there and experiencing it, instead of just learning about it in a book. That is why I feel being in class here has been invaluable to us; we are learning about the culture as we are experiencing it, and that is the kind of information and knowledge that will stick with you.

Ultimately, I'm glad that we've had this class. Not only would we probably have been very bored without it, but it has also enabled us to learn and experience aspects of Germany and German culture that we might not have ever thought of independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment