Friday, June 24, 2011

KIRSTEN: Final Thoughts

Kirsten

Being in Magdeburg for three weeks has made me feel like I live here. I’m so glad that we have stayed in one spot compared to other trips through the school in which students travel around so much more than we have. This trip has gone by so fast that many days it feels like we just got here, and other days I feel like something happened months ago. While I’m sad that I will be leaving Magdeburg, I’m glad that I still have another month here in Germany with family.

Overall this trip has been very eye-opening. We’ve had to adapt to so many different things, such as no free refills or waiters always coming to the table to check on you. The roads are so bike friendly that people are on bikes everywhere, and riders even get their own lane. We have also had the chance to use many different types of public transportation that you can’t really find in the States. We’ve done many different things in three weeks that would not be quite as easy in the States. In a given day, we could hop on a train in the morning, stop in two cities for a couple of hours at a time and still get to our final destination with enough light to walk around, take pictures and enjoy an evening there.

group quedlinburg

I’m very glad that I took this opportunity that so few people get to have. Learning about a language and culture only goes so far in a classroom in the states, but being in the country that you are learning about gives you a whole new perspective on it. Being in the country forces you to hear the language and learn to listen closely and quickly to what is being said. I know that I won’t come back to the States speaking Deutsch fluently, but I know that I will know so much more than I did at the beginning of the trip. This trip has showed me that there is so much more in the world than good ‘ole Boiling Springs. I know that I have changed so much so far on this trip, although I probably couldn’t tell you how. As much as I miss home at this point, I think that I am going to miss this country even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment