Thursday, June 23, 2011

DUSTIN: Baking Bread

Brot 11

Today was a good day I took my final exam I baked Brötchen, made some salad dressing, and had a fresh cooked meal. The day started out stressful, I woke up looked over my notes and head to school. I got to school at about eight o’clock. When the class started at eight thirty and the teacher told us we had until nine to study. When nine o’clock came she walked us over to the other class room where the test was being administered. When I got it I finished really quickly, in about thirty minutes, we where give an hour and a half. It feels good that after today we have no more grades in class, but we still have to go though.

Late today we went to this place that was in the middle of a neighborhood. When we walked into the front gate, it seemed like we were walking into a horror movie because there was a long dirt road which lead to a house, which turned out to be part of the old fortifications of Magdeburg. When we go to the house no one came out to great us, so we were standing there in the middle of a yard with random animal noises. But eventually our guide and head cook man come out and brought us up to the cooking room. First impression of the place was, there is no way I want to eat anything that I make here. I have to say the first impression isn’t always the right impression.

Brot 2

When he took us up to the room we started the process of Brötchen backen. The first step is to grind out grains and mix it with salt, yeast, and water. Altogether that part took like 15 minutes.  Then we had to knead the dough for 10 minutes.

Brot 1

Then it came time for me to put my culinary skills to the test and try to make salad dressing. It was difficult but with the help of top chief and translator Coffman and some German lady that was there I did it. I made some kind of mustard, honey based salad dressing. I have to say without them I couldn’t have done it, the whole recipe was in German. I now know the difference between an Esslöffel, and a Teelöffel. An EL is a table spoon and a TL is a teaspoon.

Brot 12

While the Brötchen was baking he gave us a tour of the grounds. It was pretty amazing because we got to go into a part of the old bunker. That was cool, I realize now how short everyone was back in the day. I almost had to duck when I went through the door.

Brot 14

When Brötchen was finished we chowed down. There is nothing better than fresh baked Brötchen and freshly made salad, dips, salad dressing, and cake. I enjoyed the day, and I wish I had the recipes for all that stuff we made today, because I would love to make it at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment