Monday, June 13, 2011

DUSTIN: Green, just green

I think that I like in Magdeburg a lot more than Berlin. Berlin was nice and I liked the old buildings they had there, but Magdeburg is older and not a crowded Magdeburg is a great laid back place; it’s quiet and filled with things to do. Berlin was a fast paced loud place filled with things to do. Magdeburg thus far has been amazing there is a lot to see here. There is the Dom, a few medieval churches, a huge garden with a museum. At the moment there is a street fair going on right outside of the hostel. They blocked off the street car tracks and the road, which made traveling to the hospital to visit Brittany a little difficult. So Brittany got put in the hospital because she got food poisoning and they quarantined her in the E-coli unit, so every time I went to see her I had to wear a gown, gloves, and a mask.

dustin hospital

I look outside of my window onto the streets of Magdeburg and I see what I thought Europe would look like. The streets are cobblestone not asphalt, there are old churches in the distance, and people are walking and riding their bikes everywhere.

clip_image010

Though yesterday we visited this town on the way to the Harz Mountains that looked like one of the cities on a travel brochure, it was old, some of the buildings were over five hundred years old.

clip_image004

Once we left there I found out how unpredictable the weather is, on the train ride up it was sunny with a little clouds, and it started raining in the town we stopped in. Then as we were on the bob sled ride in the mountains the sky opened up and ten minutes later it was warm and sunny. It’s really hard to dress to go somewhere because it could be sunny and ten seconds later the sky opens up, it’s cold, then it warm and sunny again.

clip_image002

The best part of the trip thus far has been when we got left, ironically I didn’t mind it. Sometimes it’s good to be away from the group. On the train ride up to the mountains I really didn’t get to see the scenery. But on the train ride back to the hostel I could sit by the window and look out to what has to be the most beautiful country side the world has to offer. Unlike America when you go on a trip and look outside the window and all you see is roads and buildings, when you look outside the window in Germany you see green, just green.

clip_image006

clip_image008

I really like it in Germany so far, it really makes you think about where you come from. I think Germany is the example for what the world could look like if people wouldn’t tear down forest to put up a mall. I wish all of American could look like it does here.

No comments:

Post a Comment