Thursday, June 23, 2011

BRITTANY: Cultural Differences and Random Thoughts About Germany

Magdeburg 2011 027

I find it interesting that all of the music I have heard in Germany has been American music. I have to admit, I was slightly disappointed. I wanted to go to Germany and buy some really good German music, but according to Hendrick, our go to man for Magdeburg, Germany does not really have music in German.

I have also realized that almost everyone in Germany is at least bilingual. I have even come across many people who can speak three or four languages. It makes me wonder how the school system is set up and how these people seem to be able to switch from one language to another with such ease. Why isn’t the American school system allowing for its students to become bilingual?

As far as German fashion goes, Germans seem to be stuck in the 90’s. The clothes fit differently and there seem to be mullets everywhere. Definitely one of the most unattractive hairstyles there is! I wonder why none of the many people with mullets realize how silly their hair looks.

Germans seem to absolutely love their dogs. They literally take them everywhere with them. I love this. I would take my dog everywhere with me if I could. The dogs in Germany are even allowed in the restaurants with their owners. This would not go over well in America. The dogs seem to be better behaved here. I have heard very few bark, or beg while in a restaurant. They are all very friendly, and much more in shape than American dogs. This is probably because they get to walk and get out on a daily basis.

Many places in Germany don’t have air conditioning. At first it was uncomfortable, but I have seemed to adjust to it. The nights are cool, so with an open window, it is comfortable. I could not imagine not having air in South Carolina!

There are no free refills for drinks in Germany. This can get expensive. Also, water isn’t free like it is back home. Many times alcohol is cheaper than water, which isn’t a problem, Germans have very good beer! You don’t tip waiters in Germany, which is nice. The money you would be tipping them goes to a drink refill.

Public transportation is so much better in Germany than it is back in the States. It seems like it is easier and cheaper here to take the bus or the street car than to actually drive somewhere. Sometimes you have to walk a little farther to get on the right bus, but the walking is nice. It’s nice to be outside, and it forces you to get exercise.

I love to see the differences between Germany and the United States. I’m really going to miss Germany when I leave. I have learned so much about people on this trip. I hope to come back and see and learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment