Friday, June 24, 2011

SABRINA: Final Thoughts

Sabrina Castle

Germany has been an amazing experience. I really do not want to go back to the States! Before I left, I had last minute worries  and it never hit me that I was leaving home until I and some friends went to see “The Hangover Part 2” and I saw the clip of them taking off to Thailand. I looked at my friends and I was like, "I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow, guys..." It took all the strength I had to get on that plane. It was my first time on a plane, and my first time leaving the country. But nine hours later (all but like 2 of which a baby screamed) we safely landed in Munich. Then a quick run to the next plane and we were off again. 2 hours later, we landed safely in Berlin and had to march off to find our hostel.

When I saw the road to the hostel, I was frightened!  But it was actually pretty nice. Berlin was and still is my favorite part of the Germany trip! Berlin was just so amazing!!! There was so much to do and see, and also where my "why am I going to Germany" fears went away because I could order food and drink.

Sabrina Tower

There were very few moments where I realized I was in a different country. One of those was when we went out on the river and watched people dance. Oh, I wish every night could have been like that night. It was so...  serene or something, everybody was happy and just having fun. I wasn't too happy to leave Berlin, and even less happy to see Magdeburg. I have to admit though, the place has grown on me. I still think it's sleepy, but I still wouldn't mind staying here for a few more weeks or years. Every day we have done something, which I really have enjoyed because I think I would have been miserable if I just had to sit around the city all day!! There was only one day I did not go out, nothing was planned, and I was sick. So I chose a great day to be sick :)

When class started, I thought I was going to cry! I was put in the more advanced class with people that have had SEVERAL semesters of German! Frau Weber was like: GermangermangermangermanDeutschdeutschdeutsch!! And I was like: ???????!!!!!!!! *cry* but I kept to it and I've made it through. I feel that I can better understand German. I really enjoyed the class and Frau Weber. I'm going to miss everything about it (except for that Abschlusspruefung....that was harsh).

I met so many great people that I'm going to hate to leave! Emma and TJ are great, and the Jordanians are really nice too, Yanal is my favorite though. And I love Hendrik and Bo!! We're all friends on Facebook, but who really talks to Facebook friends? I'm going to miss most of the things in Germany. My list of things I won't miss will be shorter though: nasty German water (tap and bottled), expensive drinks, paying for bathrooms, smelling cigarettes everywhere, seeing the same people EVERY DAY, the smells of Germany, recycling bottles and Pfands, bipolar weather, no air conditioning, and difficulty with language barriers. Everything else I'm going to miss.

Today has been very sad. Because it hit me that I'm going to head back home, and I'm going to leave most of the people I've met, and I'm going to have to go back to my boring life. I don't want to leave Europe! I want to stay here! The lifestyle seems much healthier! I'm going to miss walking everywhere and having good quality food! I honestly think I'll move to Germany one day. I've loved this trip so much and I'm not ready for it to end, but I know every good thing has to come to an end. I'm so grateful I got this opportunity, I'm going to miss being here so much!

Sabrina Final

No comments:

Post a Comment