Friday, June 24, 2011

GENIE: Final Thoughts

Last night a small group of us went to a shisha (hookah) bar downtown. It was very neat and relaxing to sit back and decompress after such a long and stressful week. I had never tried shisha before, and I found that I did not hate or even dislike it as I thought I would. I’m going to do some more research about it before I do it over and over though. Regardless, I’d go back to that place because it had a great atmosphere and décor.

clip_image002

Today we had class at the regular time, but it was much more relaxed. We watched the film Good Bye Lindin, which I had never seen before. It’s a wonderful movie, and it was interesting to watch it in German. After that we took a break and went to the school’s store and purchased some memorabilia (aka hoodies!). Then we watched a kid’s fairy tale in German until it was time for our “award ceremony”. The head of the school talked to us and then presented us with our certificates for completing the class.

clip_image004

After class, Chris and I went to the Asian bistro that is situated a stone’s throw away from the Jugendherberge. It was fantastic. They have lunch specials and I had an 8 piece sushi dish with a small salad that had a delicious mango dressing. The sushi consisted of avocado and tuna, crab, and I think salmon.

clip_image006

At the end of the meal, Chris gave the waiter two 10 euro bills to pay for 15,50 €. The man said (auf Deutsch) that he didn’t have any small money for change, so we pooled together some small money and gave him six euro in jingle. He then gave Chris five euro back and left. “Hmmmmm,” we thought, “that doesn’t make sense!” So we immediately realized the man owed Chris five more euro seeing as in total he had been given 26 € to pay for 15,50 €. We sat there for a good while, discussing the possibility that he had done it on purpose, just to mess with us because we’re American. When Chris saw him next and called him over he had changed into his street clothes. He was going to dip out with the money! Chris explained to him, very kindly I might add, in German what had happened, and one of the other waiters gave him the money needed. It was hilarious, in a ‘he’s such a disgusting person for trying to steal’ way.

clip_image008

And here I sit now, contemplating the rest of the day. All we have left is to meet at 5:30 to go to the park for our cookout, which is our goodbye party. After that, we plan on going out dancing together, including the lovely Frau Weber, whom I will miss terribly. I can’t help but think about everything I will miss about this city. I can’t think of a single thing that I dislike here. When I say I want to, or rather will live here, I’m not joking. For at least a few years I am going to live here after graduation. It feels so right to me. And it’s not just the city that’s made me feel so comfortable, it’s the experiences I’ve had here. It’s almost as if being here and doing what I have has been a way to self-discovery. I feel as if I’ve found pieces of myself that have been missing for all my life. Everything will be different after this trip, but not in a negative way. Definitely not. I find sorrow in having to leave, but joy in being able to return, which is a definitely in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment