Sunday, June 12, 2011

KIRSTEN: Feel at home here

Magdeburg is so different from Berlin but I think that’s it been my favorite so far. We’ve been here less than a week so far but I feel so much more comfortable and feel like I could get around a lot easier here than in Berlin. I already feel at home here and feel like the days are going by too fast. The city is small but big at the same time and has so many beautiful sites to see.

hundertwasser1

It is home to Hundertwasser’s last building, the Grüne Zitadelle, which is actually pink.

dom1

I also love the Cathedral of Magdeburg, which looks very medieval. There is also a medieval festival that is going on now, and people have set stands up in the middle of sidewalks as well as part of the tracks the Straβenbahn travel on.

We have just finished our first week of class. In class we are spoken to only in German, unless someone looks totally lost. We seem to have two groups within our class; the ones that seem to understand everything and then the ones that it takes a lot longer to understand what is being said. I fall into the second group. Although there are times in class that I feel completely lost, I like that we hear mostly German, because I feel that we will get so much more out of it than if we heard English every other sentence.

I have fallen in love with this city in less than seven days and I can’t wait to see what else I can find and fall in love with in the next two weeks.

pizza

currywurst

And by the way Mom and Dad, the pizza and currywurst here is amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment