Friday, June 17, 2011

REGINA: Food!

One of my favorite things about being in Germany is the food! At home, I try to be a strict vegetarian; not because I’m a big animal rights activists; I simply don’t like the taste of over-processed, fatty American meat.


Here, I eat meat just about every day. I don’t know what it is about it, but it’s so much better than the meat back home. It’s not just the meat, either; it’s everything that I’ve tried. The bread is better here; in fact, it’s to die for. And don’t get me started on Currywurst… it was something that sounded absolutely repulsive to me when Coffman told us about it in class, but MAN. It’s absolutely incredible.

Currywurst

It wasn’t what I was expecting at all. It’s not too spicy, like I expected it to be, and the meat… oh man, the wurst is just amazing. I’ve gone several times to Curry 54, which is right down the road and which has been said to have the best Currywurst in Germany, and, while I haven’t had Currywurst from anywhere else but Berlin, I have to agree. I feel as though while I’m here, Currywurst could easily be my substitute for pizza: which I love to eat all the time at home. And the Pommes!

Regina Pommes

It’s awesome! German Pommes totally trumps American French fries any day!


The water here is different, too. While I feel as though it’s a bit inconvenient that you can’t (or, should I say, shouldn’t… it hasn’t always stopped me, though) drink the tap water, there is a large assortment of water to buy at shops. A lot of it is carbonated. Now, I had never really had any experience with carbonated water back in the States, but I really enjoy drinking it here. I don’t know; I think the bubbles are kind of fun.


Even McDonalds is better here. If you go inside, I swear you’d think you were in a five star restaurant!

McDonalds

The coffee shop sells little cakes and stuff there, and the McDonalds has veggie burgers! What’s up with that, America? About all you can get at the McDonalds at home is flies and hamburgers with mysterious chunks in the meat.


I’m worried that I’m going to go into withdrawal when I get back home and have to eat a bunch of processed crap again. I’m not going to enjoy having to resort to munching on the crap at home after eating the amazing food here…

No comments:

Post a Comment