Wednesday, June 22, 2011

GENIE: Strong in my faith

Dresden 2

This weekend our major goal was to arrive in and explore the lovely city of Dresden. In order to do this, it was required that we be ready and at the Hauptbahnhof at 7:45 after making sure we were moved out of our rooms and our extra luggage stored in a store-room. That was quite annoying. I was very comfortable with our room. Our train left a little after eight, and we had several change-overs to make. Our first stop was in Meiβen. It is a quaint little city with a lovely castle and church up on a hill overlooking the river.

clip_image002

The wurst I had there for lunch was the best one I have ever tasted! Und nur 2€! Eventually we made our way up the hill and visited the castle. It was roughly 1000 years old, and in fantastic condition. It was absolutely lovely and I enjoyed exploring it. The twisting tower stairs lead us to many different floors of wondrous history and beautiful artifacts.

clip_image004

After Meiβen we traveled to Radebeul, home of the famous German author Karl May. He wrote many novels based on the “Wild Wild West” and Native Americans. There we visited his home and were able to experience a bizarre festival-type gathering where Germans were dressed up as Native Americans and Cowboys. They danced and it was a bit creepy. I was almost offended by how these people behaved, but I can’t blame them if they don’t actually know.

clip_image006

Finally, after hours on trains and witnessing weird Germans in “ass-less chaps”, we arrived in Dresden. I found it to be a breathtakingly beautiful city, if not a bit touristy. The history there is incredible. Herr Coffman showed me a few photographs of Dresden after the fire bombings of WWII.

bombing-of-dresden

It was completely decimated. Because of this, there aren’t too many original traditional buildings left in the city. However, several were re-built with what was left of the originals. I enjoyed seeing the churches and the statue of Martin Luther, the founder of my religion. That meant a lot to me, seeing as I am strong in my faith.

clip_image002[5]

One of the most interesting places we visited was the Royal Treasury. I wish I had photographs of what we saw in there, but that was against the rules. There were rooms full of priceless items! I can’t imagine how much money was in that building. It is crazy to think that royalty ages ago would need such frivolous items, many of which I learned they would never use! Regardless, it was mind-boggling and highly interesting. However, I have problems remembering most of the trip because I was so dog tired. I haven’t been sleeping well so I was pretty loopy the entire weekend! Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the trip and will go back some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment