Friday, June 17, 2011

CHRIS: In sync

A few days ago we went to Wolfsburg to see the VW factory and the Autostadt. It was incredible and was one of the main reasons I came on this trip. I was so excited to go being a car guy. The Autostadt is like an amusement park for car enthusiasts. They had some really amazing cars! All of the companies that Volkswagen owns has a building. (VW, Skoda, Audi, Lambo, Bugatti) In one of my favorite buildings they had a priceless solid chrome Bugatti Veyron.

Bugatti

It was without a doubt the shiniest car I’ll ever see. My favorite part of the Autostadt though would have to be the museum building. They had so many wonderful old cars that I really didn’t have time to see them all. Someday I would like to go back and take my time reading about and looking at each one.

After the Autostadt we went on a tour of the VW factory which was incredible.

Autostadt VW

I was really excited to go to the VW factory because everyone in my family is a VW fan. Seriously we have 4 Volkswagens at home (2 passats, a jetta and a cabrio) The VW factory in Wolfsburg from the outside doesn’t look very big but looks can be deceiving as it is the biggest car factory in the world. From the outside to me it looked like Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory with its smokestacks and sleepy dull brick facade. Before we went in an official VW employee made us put our cameras into a bin adding to my excitement. This made me think that I might get to see some secret VW technology or something. When we finally made it inside we went up some unassuming stairs and into a nice lobby. We talked to the tour guide for a minute then he opened the doors and we walked out onto the factory floor. The factory unlike the lobby was loud and bustling with activity. I wish I could’ve taken a picture of the really cool tram you get to ride in during the tour. The front part of the tram is a golf with the back cut off and made into a convertible. I’m glad we didn’t have to walk because the tour was 6 kilometers long. This factory was so huge that employees where riding around on bicycles which was strange. There was so much activity it was mind blowing. And all this activity was happening harmoniously in sync. It was definitely a sight to behold and is something I’ll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment