Friday, June 24, 2011

KENDALL: Final Thoughts

clip_image002[4]

clip_image002

clip_image004

Before I left for Germany, I didn't really know what to expect. I was worried about not being proficient enough. I wanted to become fluent, I wanted to learn the culture, I wanted to build up my application for grad school and resume. I came because my friend Lynn convinced me; she told me her trip to Sweden was the most influential event in her life. I thought that at the very least it would change my perspective on life to come to Europe and see a different way of life. The days leading up to me leaving were tense for me, and it was very hard to say goodbye to the people closest to me for so long; I knew I would miss my girlfriend badly, and my summer vacation with my family also, but I had decided this was the right path for me.

The flight to Germany was surreal, it had been a while since I had been on an airplane much less out of the country. I didn't know anybody I was traveling with except for Jay. When we arrived I started to get to know my fellow students as we made the trek to our hostel on little or no sleep with all our luggage. I never really felt like I had come to Europe; I could see so many things similar to America that it seemed like I was just a skip and a hop away.

Since my arrival, I have become very close to the other students. Several of them are much more confident in their German than me and so I was dependent on them to do basic tasks. We became close as family, sharing rooms, food, drinks, and memories.

When we started class I was surprised I was put in the same level as other students like Chris, Regina D. and TJ, but I figured if I was with them I could survive even if I was over my head. I decided I would stick it out and stay in the upper level course for better or worse because I couldn't settle for not trying my hardest and I wasn't sure what the second half of my trip would have in store for me.

Class was challenging, but I found the change in my everyday routine much harder to deal with. I am used to having lots of alone time, and I have every kind of time but alone. It put me way outside of my comfort zone to attend a class I struggled just to keep up with and spend my time constantly in the company of others. We did many fun and exciting things that I will never forget and while I grew tired of the constant activity I knew I would regret it if I didn't try and participate as much as possible.

It feels like it took until now to adjust, and now the circumstances are changing again. My class is over, and I amazingly enough did as well as everyone else despite the fact I have had fewer classes. I am having to say goodbye to all the people I have become so close to. I will see some people again, back in America, but others I will probably never see again :( .

Now I am looking forward to my next month here, studying in Stendal, and once again delving into the unknown with a new city and new people. Whatever happens, I am sure I will learn much from it, I can only hope as much as I have learned in the past month. For those of you reading this at home, I miss you and I look forward to seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment