Thursday, June 9, 2011

ANNABELLE: Berlin and Stanley Kubrick?

Berlin was an amazing city to begin our immersion into Germany and its culture. From our first step out of the airport into the Bus, I felt that Germany was like a European Seattle in that it has a combination of international cultures, social awareness, architecture, sheik fashions, art and a bit of grunge or grit. Berlin’s kind of social realism that can be found all around the city from its statues to its graffiti and stickers I found to be refreshing and invigorating.

Besides our trek across Friedrichstrasse with my broken luggage and seizing back, I was instantly curious and excited to be in the center of Berlin. There were around 500 pictures I took in our time in Berlin, but I chose a picture from our trip to Potsdam to be the focus of my first blog.

Anabelle

Sanssouci was one of the most regal and beautiful places I have ever been to. The castles of Sanssouci were breathtaking and because I am a film lover I was thrilled to find out the Stanley Kubrick film “Barry Lyndon” was filmed there. It was a combination of beautiful, ornate architectures, statues and rose gardens with pastures of soft grass and wild flowers.

garden

The sun shone heavily on us, but instead of being draining it was invigorating and as soon as the heat seemed too much, we could retire under a tree and instantly be cooled. Germany has a natural ease that is both calming and healing. Besides the struggle to find water and bathrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment