Monday, June 13, 2011

BRITTANY: Alone time

clip_image002

On Saturday our group went to the Harz Mountains. It was so beautiful. We first visited the old German town of Quedlinburg, then made our way up the mountain to see where witches would supposedly gather to copulate with the devil. We took a gondola up the mountain.

clip_image004

The view was amazing. You could see the whole town below. While we were up there it started to pour down rain. This resulted in everyone running to get back on the train where it was dry. In our frantic run down the mountain, myself and 3 others got separated from the group. We missed the train and were left in the mountains. At first I was mad that everyone left us. I was soaked with rain water and really cold! My anger then turned to worry. I had no idea how I was going to get back to the hostel in Magdeburg. We were about an hour and a half train ride away. It wasn’t just one train either. We had to ride to one town and switch trains. We were left without tickets, and forced to buy our own. After figuring out what train to get on, my anger and worry dissipated and the train ride back became incredibly peaceful. The four of us left behind were the only ones on the train. It was nice to get away from the group and just have quiet. It wasn’t “alone” time, but it was the closest thing I’ve gotten to it since I’ve left home. I think that is what I miss most about home, the time to be by myself. I put my head up against the window in the train and just watched the countryside go by. Germany is such a beautiful place.

image

Once back at the hostel, and after changing into dry clothes, the rest of the night was spent walking around the carnival going on right outside our hostel. It seems like the people in Germany are much more laid back than in America. There is beer and alcohol everywhere, but it isn’t crazy, it’s just relaxed. There doesn’t seem to be as many rules and laws as in America, and still no one gets hurt and nothing really goes wrong. It makes Americans seem a little over protective or worrisome. I enjoy the slow, laid back pace of Magdeburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment