Monday, June 13, 2011

ANNABELLE: Niemandsland

We went to the Berlin Wall on the second of June. I could not have been happier to be in the city at that point. Berlin was pulsing with music and movement from each corner of the city. The day was hot and the sun beat down intensely, but once we made it to the Wall I felt that we were all reinvigorated and curious to walk along the wall and take in each painting. The Wall stood parallel to the river and people of all ages and nationalities flocked to the river and wall for dancing, soccer, sunbathing and of course drinking. We later found out that that day was a free day for Germany.

Wall 7

The paintings ranged in themes from Pink Floyd’s The Wall (one of my favorites) to an apocalyptic black and red desolated battlefield. Under the picture read Niemandsland which translates to No Mans Land.

Wall 5

Wall 6

This painting along which so many other artworks that can be found on stickers to street graffiti demonstrates Germany’s political and social awareness.

Anabelle and Genie in Berlin

While reclining in the grass and looking out on the river I thought to myself how I wish that I was a native to Berlin. A subtle jealousy crept into my thoughts. Everywhere I’ve gone during my time here in Germany I’ve noticed real lifestyle differences between the American way of life and the German. Besides the obvious things that most people are aware of, I see so many couples of all ages openly affectionate in a sweet, not trashy manner. It could be the fact that its summer and people are simply more happy or perhaps it’s the active healthy lifestyle. You walk or bike everywhere, and it seems that a car would almost be a hassle whereas in the US it’s imperative to have a car to do anything. Although I have felt a little homesick while being here, I know that I will miss walking everywhere and all of the activities and beautiful places that are so easy to get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment