Friday, June 24, 2011

ANNABELLE: Final Thoughts

Annabelle 1

As our time in Germany comes to an end I have mixed feelings about my experience in Germany. Although I am looking forward to seeing and sharing my pictures with my family, friends and kitty, I am sad that our adventure is coming to an end. I want to take in as much as possible, from taking random videos of our group going out to dinner and skipping down the street to filming the outside of our Jugendherberge (Hostel). There is nothing that I regret or want to forget from this trip and experience. I now understand what Herr Coffman meant when he said that going on this study abroad would change our lives, as it had his. This trip has taught me so much about not only myself but everyone on this trip. I feel like I’ve gained so much during my time in Germany; from new, close friendships to my German improving exponentially. It was interesting to see how being immersed in the language and culture effected all of us. Genie told me that one night she heard me talking in my sleep in German which I found amusing and surprising. Words I had learned years ago would come to me at random moments. It was as if the more time I spent here the more my mind opened up. I also couldn’t have asked for a better teacher at the Hochschule, Frau Weber was so sweet , spunky and gave us amazing insight into German culture and perspective. I wish that she could come back to the U.S. with us. I also loved my time spent with Bo and Hendrik. I will miss them both so much, but thankfully for Facebook we can keep in contact easily. I feel like we are all bonded by this experience, including our Minnesotan and Jordanian friends. I wish they too could come back to Upstate with us. We often talk about how we haven’t realized that we’re about to separate from one another because we all feel like one big family. We have a real understanding of one another because we’ve seen one another at every level of exhaustion, low blood sugar, happiness and moodswings. I’m not typically one to be overly affectionate and gushy, but I love everyone on this trip and am so glad that I met every single one of them. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to study abroad this summer. So I thank Herr Coffman, Hendrik,Bo, Frau Weber, my parents for sending me on this trip and everyone who came on this trip. I would also like to thank everyone for putting up with my own mood swings, and to Genie for waking me up every morning and being my roommate. I will miss this experience.

Annabelle 2

No comments:

Post a Comment